In the first 100 days of Duterte as President of the Republic of the Philippines, several achievements accomplished and several issues arise, despite concerns about extrajudicial killings (EJK) and the so-called Davao Death Squad (DDS), the President is still on the verge of doing what he think is right.
On the mark of this first 100 days, Duterte was able to obtain the following significant accomplishments:
1. War against drugs – Duterte asserted even before seated as president that he will do everything to eliminate illegal drug trade in the country to which according to him is already pandemic. The campaign also resulted in hundred thousands of users voluntarily surrendered to work with the government’s fight on drugs.
2. End Tanim Bala – The President effectively removed the tanim bala issue happening before at NAIA which victimized mostly OFW’s. Duterte ordered the stop of the said scam and told airport authorities that anyone caught doing the said Modus would then be asked to eat the bullet.
3. New Bilibid Prison – The Philippine elite forces known as SAF (Special Action Force) replaced the BUCOR in manning the national penitentiary. The sudden move was due to several contrabands, drugs, and stuff was able to enter the premises under the previous management. SAF is now enforcing stricter rules, especially on visitors.
4. Emergency Hotlines 911 and 8888 – 911, the first nationwide hotline was executed by Duterte to cater the needs of the Filipino community. It would allow faster response and better service for emergencies. Duterte also implemented a complaint desk hotline 8888, which is in charge of handling complaints from the public with regards to government agencies and corrupt officials in the country.
5. Freedom of Information – Duterte has already implemented the FOI (Freedom of Information) bill under his executive branch that would allow the public to check and verify public funds for transparency.
6. One Stop Shop for OFW’s – The newly opened one stop shop caused relief to OFW’s which allowed not just to save money on additional expenses, but it also resulted in faster processing.
However, even Duterte has accomplished several achievements, still, some several issues that was addressed to him which includes:
1. Relationship with America – The tough-talking president caused international ire due to his aggressive statements against the United States of America which according to an analyst, can cause harmful effects for the country.
2. Human Rights – Duterte being vocal in his fight against drugs and criminals which are said to be in hot waters due to his bold statements against killings of lawbreakers. Human rights advocates condemn the acts of the president in handling the said offenders.
3. Harsh Comments – The President is also getting international attention due to offending statements and tends to ask forgiveness right after. The said issue includes Duterte’s statement against the Pope, comments regarding Hitler, a rape joke and such. Some took serious offense and reminded that he needs to be extra cautious on his words.
President Rodrigo Duterte as an unorthodox president caused bad and good effects but still, the President who acts as the head of the state expresses concern about the current situation of the Philippines, and according to him, one of his vision is to make the Philippines be a “Better place to live.”