A few days from now, President-elect Rodrigo “Rody” Duterte, also known as the Iron Fist, will be starting his duty to his fellow countrymen. Finally, the day everyone is waiting for has come, but let us have a short recap of the previous administration accomplishments.
It was the year 2010 when President Benigno Simeon “Noynoy” Cojuangco Aquino III was elected, and he called us his “BOSS” because we are the voice of what he needs to do, for the dynamic development of the Philippines and below are some of the achievements of the previous administration.
- The country has recorded an average GDP growth of 6.2 percent – the fastest growth period in 40 years.
- On finances, in the first five years of his administration, dividends from government-owned and -controlled corporations reached P131.86 billion compared to the P84.18 billion during the nine-and-a-half years of the previous administration.
- In tax collections, from P778 billion in 2008, tax revenues of the BIR last year reached P1.3 trillion. This year, the bureau is tasked to collect about P1.5 trillion.
- The President noted that foreign direct investments in the country reached a record high of $6.2 billion in 2014 from $1.07 billion in 2010.
- Domestic investments are also impressive, noting that since 2010, the amount invested by Filipinos in the country reached a P2.09 trillion.
- On manufacturing sector, an average growth of 3 percent in 2001 to 2009 rose to 8 percent from 2010 to 2014. Investors are bringing in factories that produce high-tech pieces of equipment from aircraft components to medical devices.
- In 2011, there were 9.51 million overseas Filipinos, but estimates as of December 2014 showed that the number of these Filipinos declined to 9.07 million.
- The unemployment rate dropped to 6.8 percent last year, the lowest recorded in a decade
- Among the government’s mechanisms is the Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program or 4Ps, which has now over 4.4 million beneficiaries.
Source: Manila Times
After President Aquino III (PNoy) term has come to an end, with all these achievements, 9 out of 10 people wants Daang Matuwid to be replaced, changed and totally dissolved.
Daang Matuwid is the famous tag line PNoy always use in his State of the Nation Address (SONA), this means all his plans and efforts are on the right path, but majority of the people are irritated, annoyed and disappointed with this as they didn’t see the progress, the outcome, and the evidence.
Now, that Mayor Rodrigo “Rody” Duterte is taking over the Philippines, a lot of questions arose, let us go deep within.
What could be his tagline from Day 1 until the end of his term? Change is coming, for the first three to six months. Change has come, for the next six months. Change has been implemented, for the next two years. Change is still in progress, for another two years. And before his term ends, Philippines have changed!
What will happen to our local economy? When we say the economy, this involves jobs, investments, GDP, income, and price of goods. His campaign in the past several months, he only shed a little light regarding economic policies. Will our economic progress before his term end? Will the unemployment rate decrease? Will there be more foreign investors? Can a low average family eat a meal three times a day?
Will there be a media blackout? A few days ago, he already started to ban media at his thanksgiving and victory party due to incompetent, unreliable and untruthful news gave to the Filipinos. Nowadays, you’ll never know which newspaper company and news network via TV, radio or social media, is giving accurate and correct information unless you are really interested in such news you will read all articles connected to the news headline and from there you can tell which is which.
Will there be a river of blood? We are all aware that our tough-talking president-elect always says “papatayin ko kayong lahat!” (I will kill you all!) Most especially to the drug lords who will be caught. Will the Death Penalty be legalized?
Will justice be served for those who are starving for justice? There are a huge number of Filipinos who are screaming, crying and asking for justice for their loved ones who were killed or murdered from different crimes such as SAF44, Kidapawan Massacre, Rape, Stray Bullets, and Abuse OFWs to death.
Will there be cooperation and discipline? Most of the municipalities in different regions are now implementing the Duterte’s Rules and Regulations, curfew hours, videoke until 10 PM, etc. and it’s good to see that 80% comply with the new ordinance.
Lastly, will his administration achieve more than what the previous government has done?
Now that the heat is on, the first day of Duterte’s administration is just around the corner, most of his supporters asking the other people to give him the chance to change the Philippines, help him achieve what he wants for the country, after all, the loyal supporters asked him to run for the presidency and elected him as they know what Duterte is capable of.